On Charlottesville

"I'm not always one to give social commentary and I'm not the pastor here so there are some things I don't have the authority to address in detail. At the same time, as one who has been given a voice to the body of Christ, I don't think my conscience would let me off the hook if I did not at least take a moment to acknowledge the events that took place in Charlottesville, Va and denounce any notion of racism or exalting one people group above another on behalf of the body of Christ. 

The beauty of the body of Christ and the legacy we have inherited from Jesus is that we are people who celebrate diversity and celebrate the unique gifts each tribe and tongue and ethnicity brings.  We are a people who are called to love one another. We are people who believe everyone bears the image of God and deserves dignity equality and respect. 
I believe that every tragedy and every display of evil that we encounter in our broken world is an opportunity for us to show forth and walk in the opposite spirit. 
Therefore, in light of Charlottesville, I want to offer the words of the prayer of St. Francis."

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace:
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy. 

- Stephen Roach. Excerpt from my talk given today at Awake Church. 

Comments